Tuesday 30 October 2012

#NHBPM 2nd November

What's the Weirdest Thing about your Health?

For me, one of the most unusual things about my health is the way in which the majority of my symptoms are shielded underneath a cloak if invisibility.
Crohn's Disease is known as an 'invisible illness' - due to the fact that on the whole, the disease us not apparent to anyone on the outside. This can be both a curse and a blessing. The latter, as I can mainly go about my day to day life without having having to discuss, or make excuses for my illness. I can look, as best as I can, like 'me' - not a 'sick' person.
Having an 'invisible illness' can also unfortunately mean having to explain your symptoms in much more detail than perhaps someone who is 'outwardly' ill. It's essential I explain exactly what I'm feeling internally in order for the doctors to get a picture of what may be going on in there.
My Crohnie cloak of invisibility also allows me to often forget I'm sick for a little while. I can pop on my lipstick and heels and pretend for a night that I'm 'normal'. And although my insides may be entirely at odds with my insides, the whole world doesn't need to know..

This post was written as part of WEGO Health #NHBPM 30 posts in 30 days

No comments:

Post a Comment