Saturday 31 March 2012

Quotation Inspiration #HAWMC

'Find a quote that inspires you (either positively or negatively) and free write about it for 15 minutes.'

This post calls for me to think of a quote I have heard which has inspired me, either negatively or positively. The quote i've chosen, is one that was directed towards me, when talking about my Crohn's diagnosis. The person who said it, (who shall remain nameless to protect his/her identity from furious friends and family) had no grasp of Crohn's or what it entails, and told me;

"It must be your life-style that's caused it"

Hmm. Where to begin when dissecting this comment? My first instinct at the time, was to imprint my knuckles in the persons face cheeks. But enjoyable as that would've been, it simply would not have been productive. So I instead calmly explained that, that was utter bullshit and no one can be held responsible for catching Crohn's.
Doctors do not yet know what causes the disease, so how can it be said that I am to blame? As for my 'life-style' - I don't smoke, do drugs, rarely drink and am relatively fit. I eat a vaguely healthy diet and have regular check-ups with doctor and dentist. Smoking is advised to be avoided where Crohn's is concerned, yes, but as I don't smoke this is a mute point for me.
My main problem with this comment wasn't even the ignorance of it, it was the accusatory way it was said and how completely dismissive it seemed. 'Ah well it's your fault, get over it' - is how it felt. Would you have said the same to a loved one? And if the answer to that is yes, you are a bit of an arse aren't you?
This quote 'inspired' me to remain calm in the face of ignorance and continue to spread the word that Crohn's is a disease that is not 'dirty' or anyone who suffers from it's 'fault'. It's relentless and can cause crippling depression - something that is not helped by comments like the aforementioned. Please be tolerant. And as the saying goes, if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all.



Post written as part of WEGO Health #HAWMC

No comments:

Post a Comment