Friday 18 February 2011

Sherlock Crohn's

This afternoon I did what everyone who cares about me has told me not to - I did some of my own Crohn's investigation on the internet.
Might be a case of closing the stable door after the horse has bolted but I feel I should prepare myself for what's to come in dealing with this disease tagging along for the rest of my life.
So i've spent the past few hours reading a LOT of information. Most of which I thankfully already knew and some accounts of Crohn's from 'inspirational' (and some not so inspirational..) people.
It seems the arthritis I was diagnosed with a couple of years ago was my body's way of yelling "Hey! this is just a taster, you have NO IDEA what's to come!" (in my head thats followed by an evil laugh).
Apparently individuals with Crohn's disease involving the small bowel (thats moi) are at a higher risk of developing intestinal cancer. We are also at risk of malnutrition, for many reasons, including decreased food intake and 'malabsorption'. These risks are apparently increased following resection of the small bowel (what moi has just had).
The 'C' word and 'malnutrition' are generally two of the scarier terms in the NHS Dictionary but for some reason I feel OK with it. The chances of malnutrition are fairly slim living with a former chef with a passion for cheese and cream, and as for the other one,well if that happens I will cope with it. I have an amazing network of uber-supportive family and friends and I know they are always there if I happen to have a 'down-day', and after being called 'strong' for over a year and shrugging it off, I am finally starting to feel it.
I've decided I'm not 'living with Crohn's', it just happens to be living with me.
Remember to wipe your feet on the way out please :)



No comments:

Post a Comment